Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Early iPhone Morning 2

Yes, I woke up last Friday morning at 4:00AM and went to the AT&T store before 5:00AM to wait in line for the new iPhone. (I have been planning for this for 3 months and was not intending to miss getting one on the day that they were finally coming out.) When I drove into the parking lot there was only one car that belonged to a worker (yes, he was there before me) and a Constable (ready to break up any riots that might insue in Flower Mound, TX I guess). So, I thought, "I'll wait a minute before I get my chair out and get in line". Then two teenage girls drove up and immediately got out of their car and went to sit by the front door.

So, I missed being the first person in line.

But, I went ahead and staked out my place and, (after some introductions) began to read my book. I got 2 paragraphs read and two teenage guys walk up. One was an Apple Freak and proceded to tell me how they had stayed up all night in anticapation for this wait, about all of his Apple gear, about his online business of buying and celling things (including the iPhone that he had a year ago, but wanted to try out the Blackberry Bold so he sold it and bought another one), and about his wonderful car that he loves so much (older car - "redone") and what all of his friends drive (Beemers, Mercedes and the like) and how he has trouble with the Flower Mound police because of his car. And he won't stop! I pulled out my computer (a Dell) to see if there would happen to be a wireless connection (I don't have the iPhone yet) and he goes off about how he "hates Windows" and Mac is the only true computer. At some point he is showing me (without my asking, mind you) all of the pictures of the things that he has sold on Ebay. Let's just say, I didn't read much of my book in the time that I waited. Oh and his friend was just there to be with him and hang out at 5AM. What a life!!

As I sat there and people joined the line, my friend Sarah got there and joined me allowing a little bit of a buffer from the conversations. About that time I learned that they were going to let those who had preordered ther phone to go in at 7AM and the others would have to wait until 10AM. So, I would be the first to buy the iPhone that day without preordering!! YEA! FIRST IN LINE FOR SOMETHING!!! Then we realized that there weren't that many people in line who had preordered. Surely they would take us in before 10AM and not make us sit in the heat for 3 hours.

Well, they did and at 7:30AM I walked in with hands raised into the air-conditioning and said (as a truly knowledgable iPhone user would say), "I'd like a 32 black".

It felt so good to be hip for just a few seconds.

From this point on, it was pretty anti-climactic as my helper tapped on her computer and set me up with my new iPhone. And after all of the wondering about if and when I would get my new iPhone, I was out of the store by 8:00AM on June 19, 2009... my life forever changed by my ability to search the web, check on traffic and weather, check my bank account, check sports scores, check email and my Facebook (and even make farting noises).... anywhere I happen to find myself at that moment. WOW!! I am in awe.

It was a great memory. And it's a great phone too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment